This is the part 2 of how to install developer mode apps on Samsung Gear S2. This tutorial will cover the 2nd part of the series which explains installing by Tizen IDE.
Install Tizen SDK
Please skip all the way down to “Installing the developer mode app on Gear S2” part if you have read the part 1. If not, please go through these initials steps.
- 1. Install Java Development Kit (JDK) 7 or later from the Oracle website: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
- 2. Install the latest version of Tizen SDK:
Connecting Gear S2 with phone
- 1. Find and install the Samsung Gear app from the Play Store.
- 2. Turn on Bluetooth on Phone, launch Samsung Gear app, and click Connect to Gear
button while following screen is shown on Gear.
- 3. Click “OK” to accept the connection to your matching Gear S2. If there are multiple Gear
devices, select the one you wish to connect to. Samsung Gear will download and install
- 4. Accept the Bluetooth pairing request on both devices.
- 5. Agree to the Terms and conditions on the Phone and click Done. Your Gear S2 is now
paired with your phone.
Installing the developer mode app on Gear S2
There are two methods of installing a developer mode app on Gear S2. This is part 2 of the series which will cover installing the app by Tizen IDE with the source code.
Installation method #2: Tizen IDE (You must have the source code)
Before installing your app onto a device, you have to do the following:
- 1. Create a new project.
- 2. Import resources into your project.
- 3. Connect your Gear S2 to your PC (Tizen IDE or Command Line).
- 4. Register certificates
Create a new project
- 1. Launch Tizen IDE.
- 2. Go to File > New > Tizen Web Project and select a Basic project under WEARABLE-version.
- 3. Set your project name.
- 4. Click the Finish button to create the project. It will show up under Project Explorer now.
Import resources into your project
- 1. With your project selected in Project Explorer, go to File > Import, or right click the
project in Project Explorer and select Import.
- 2. Select File System under General and click Next.
- 3. Click Browse and navigate to the folder where resource files are stored. Select this folder and click OK.
- 4. Select the resources you would like to import. Check the folder on the left if you wish to import everything. Check the option Overwrite existing resources without warning if you don’t care what gets overwritten and want to speed up the process. Click Finish.
Connect Gear S2 to PC (Tizen IDE)
To connect your Gear S2 to your PC, you can use either the method outlined here or in Method #1 (command line).
- 1. Restart your computer if you haven’t already after installing Tizen SDK
- 2. Enable debugging on the Gear S2 via Settings > Gear info > Debugging.
- 3. Disable the Bluetooth connection on the Gear S2 via Settings > Connections >
- 4. Enable WiFi via Settings > Connections > WiFi and connect your Gear S2 to the
same network that the PC is connected to.
- 5. Note the IP address of your Gear S2 by scrolling down via Settings > Connections >
WiFi > (Access Point).
- 6. Launch Tizen IDE.
- 7. Under Connection Explorer, click on the Remote Device Manager button.
- 8. Create a new device profile by clicking New. Enter a name and the IP
address noted from Step 5. Click Add.
- 9. Select the new device profile and click Connect.
Your device should now show up under the Connection Explorer like below
To run your application on a consumer device, you must register a certificate via the Certificate Extension. After that, the device profile that is created needs to be copied onto the device.
- 1. Launch Tizen IDE.
- 2. From the toolbar, click Register Certificate. This launches the Certificate Registration screen.
- 3. In Step 1, select the device type for your project.
- 4. In Step 2, click New to create a new security profile. Enter a name for your new profile.
- 5. In Step 3, click Create new certificate to request an author certificate. Enter at least a name and password for your certificate. You will be prompted to log in to your Samsung account. Login or create a new account if you don’t already have one. Click OK after you see the success popup window.
- 6. In Step 4, click Create new certificate button to request a distributor certificate. Select the privilege level, password, and device unique ID (DUID) information and click Request. Connected devices will be shown on the right and you can click Add to copy the DUID to the registration list. Click OK after you see the success popup window.
- 7. Click OK to register the author and distributor certificates.
- 8. Right click on the device in Connection Explorer and select the option Permit to install applications. Click OKon the success window popup. This will copy the device profile that was generated in Step 7 onto the connected device, allowing you to install your applications to your device.
Installing an application on your Gear S2
- 1. Right click on your project in Project Explorer and select Run As > Tizen Web Application. This will install and launch the application on your Gear S2. You should see the console window updating as well as the progress bar in the bottom right of the IDE.
Whew, it was a long journey but I hope these tutorials (part 1 & 2) encourage developers to try their apps out in Tizen OS environment. Don’t forget to leave any comments or feedback!